Nowadays, you don’t have to go through thick books written by scientists in order to find out fascinating (and more often than not pointless) facts – you just need to have the patience of going through the endless piles of internet junk to extract a few gems. To save you some bother, here are twenty that you probably missed.
1. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the correct female equivalent for “dude” is “dudine”
Now that an official dictionary has dropped that knowledge bomb, you can stop using the word “dudette”. Not that anyone has used it in the last 20 years.
2. Linkin Park and Blink-182 will briefly form a super duo called “Blinkin Park”
Source:Funny Or Die
The two bands appeared in a video for Funny Or Die in order to promote the upcoming “One More Light” tour that will feature both.
3. The film Pearl Harbor cost as much as the actual rebuilding of Pearl Harbor and lasted an hour longer than the attack
Michael Bay’s piece cost $140 million to produce. Even with that much money, Bay himself almost quit several times because he felt constricted by the budget, before taking a $4 million pay cut.
4. “Anatidaephobia” is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
Source: Reddit | no_one_cares_for_you
Actually a parody on the many possible phobias out there, it was coined by legendary cartoonist Gary Larson when it made its way around the internet a while ago where a lot of people mistook it for a real phobia.
5. A couple in Sweden were fined for naming their kid “Brfxxccxxmnpcccclll mmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116”
According to the couple, the name is pronounced “Albin”. The unapproved name was never registered and the fine remained in place even after the couple offered to name their child “A” instead.
6. White dog poop
Source: Reddit | bodieotis
Remember the good old days when you would stumble upon a pile of ivory feces every now and then? In the past, dog food was made with a lot more meat and bones in it while nowadays dogs rarely consume as much calcium as they used to, resulting in normal-colored poop.
7. Scientists are still searching for the “loneliest whale” in the world who has been singing to himself for over 20 years
Back in the 1980s, researchers began studying a unique whale song that had a much higher pitch than any other. They discovered that because the song was so high-pitched, female whales didn’t register it.
8. A pecan pie vending machine exists!
This glorious machine located in Cedar Creek, Texas is stocked daily and available 24/7. It’s owned by Berdoll Pecan Farm who decided to make this available because their pies were so popular.
9. The word “goober” means peanut
Source: Imgur | ambur
Surprisingly, this word is real and not made up by Gary Larson.
10. Marilyn Monroe had an IQ of 163. Albert Einstein had an IQ of 160
Source: Reddit | VerGuy | Imgur | AbstruseWalrus
Monroe (reading Joyce’s Ulysses in the picture) was far more intelligent than the stereotypical “ditzy blonde” that a lot of people made her out to be, although this, perhaps, is another proof that the IQ quotient is just one aspect of the intelligence equation.
11. Pineapples don’t grow on trees
Source: Imgur | kolla
12. Hippo milk is pink!
This pink hippopotamus milk has about 500 calories in a single cup.
13. Don’t be a donkey brain – get on that plane
Source: Reddit | Sandi315
14. The Pomato is a plant that combines potatoes and tomatoes
Source: Blogger | knowledgeforall
It grows the potatoes as the root and the tomatoes on the top.
15. On the set of The Hunger Games, Jennifer Lawrence was nicknamed, “Katpiss Neverclean”
16. Eating a polar bear’s liver will poison you
Source: Imgur | sless44
Polar bears store a lot of vitamins throughout their body and their livers are packed with vitamin A. If a human ended up eating one, they would succumb to a poisoning known as Hypervitaminosis A.
17. Ants don’t sleep
Source: Instagram | @kevinsights
They do rest and are almost useless in really cold temperatures, but basically, their nervous system isn’t complex enough to allow for what we would call sleep.
18. If you nap after learning something new, you’ll retain the information better
Three New York-based researchers conducted a study with students as subjects which proved that sleeping helps with memorizing information.
19. The inventor of the Gameboy was originally the janitor at Nintendo
Gunpei Yokoi was an inventive machinery enthusiast who had a handful of jobs at one of Nintendo’s card factories, including working as a janitor. Yokoi submitted the idea and design of the Gameboy in the ’80s and the company instantly realized its potential.
20. Mark Zuckerberg is colorblind — and that’s why Facebook is blue!
Source: Imgur | willowtreewade
Blue is the easiest color for the Facebook founder to notice and discern different shades of, so he chose it for the main look of his website.