The National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year is an award that highlights the diversity of our planet through its natural wonders and inhabitants. Its 2017 installment has received more than 15,000 entries from travelers around the world for awards in three categories: Nature, People and Cities. The prestigious Grand Prize went to Sergio Tapiro Velasco of Mexico who also won first place in the nature category.
Norbert Fritz (Hungary) took the top prize in the Cities category for his photo, titled “Levels of Reading,” and F. Dilek Uyar (Turkey) won the People category with his image “Worship”.
The first, second and third places in each category are awarded, $2,500, $750 and $500 respectively, with Velasco, the winner of the Grand Prize, also receiving a 10-day trip for two to the Galápagos Archipelago with National Geographic Expeditions. You will find a selection of the best entries from this year’s National Geographic competition below.
1. Grand Prize Winner: The Power Of Nature, Rancho De Aguirre, Colima, Mexico
A powerful eruption illuminates the slopes of Mexico’s Colima Volcano on December 13, 2015.
Source:SERGIO TAPIRO VELASCO
2. Honorable Mention, Nature: Forest Of The Fairy, Tamba, Japan
In a remote village in the Tamba region of Japan, twinkling fireflies light up the Forest of the Gods on a summer evening leading to a small shrine revered by the local people.
3. Honorable Mention, Nature: Marble Caves, Chile
The marble caves of Patagonia lie behind a 10-hour drive from the Chilean capital of Santiago and reaching them includes traversing a long, dirt trail.
4. People’s Choice Winner, Nature: Buff Tailed Coronet, Ecuador
5. People’s Choice Winner, Cities: Colorful Market, Bangkok, Thailand
As night falls over Bangkok, Thailand, rows of rainbow-colored market stalls come to life.
6. Third Place Winner, People: Under The Wave, Tavarua, Fiji
Professional surfer Donavon Frankenreiter beneath a wave in Tavarua, Fiji.
7. Second Place Winner, People: Interesting Moment, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
A crowd of spectators stands in front of Rembrandt’s masterpiece, Syndics of the Drapers’ Guild, at Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
8. Third Place Winner, Cities: Henningsvær Football Field, Henningsvær, Nordland, Norway
In Norway’s Lofoten Islands, The Henningsvær football field in Norway’s Lofoten Island photographed by drone from a height of about 390 feet (120 meters).
9. First Place Winner, People: Worship, Konya, Turkey
Beams of light filter through a historic building in Konya, Turkey, where a whirling dervish performs an ecstatic dance. The ceremony represents a mystical journey of man’s spiritual ascent towards truth and love and the constant evolution of all living things.
Source:F. DILEK UYAR
10. Honorable Mention, Nature: Mt. Bromo, East Java, Indonesia
Mount Bromo is a small but active volcano on East Java, Indonesia. The photo was taken on the 17th of January 2016 during a period of increased seismic activity.
11. First Place Winner, Cities: Levels Of Reading, Stuttgart, Germany
Natural light fills the modern interior of the city library in Stuttgart, Germany.
12. Third Place Winner, Nature: Crocodiles At Rio Tarcoles, Costa Rica
American crocodiles gather along the bank of the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica.
13. Honorable Mention, People: The Man’s Stare, Gazipur, Bangladesh
A pair of curious eyes look outside and an umbrella is opened when the train coming from Dhaka pauses at Tongi Railway Station in Gazipur, Bangladesh, on a rainy morning.
14. Second Place Winner, Nature: To Live, Oinukake, Miyagi, Japan
Swans glide over the water in Kabukurinuma, Osaki, Japan, a protected wetland. Since many of Japan’s wetlands have been lost, this area has become a rare wintering place and a safe haven for birds.
15. People’s Choice Winner, People: Sand Porter, Munshiganj, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Sand porters carry loads on the bank of The river Dhaleswari in Munshiganj, Bangladesh.
Source:MD TANVEER HASSAN ROHAN
16. Honorable Mention, Nature: In Your Face, Cuba
Caribbean reef sharks in the Gardens of the Queen – a remote marine area south of Cuba that has been under protection since the 1960s.
17. Honorable Mention, Cities: Colorful Apartment, Kitagata, Gifu, Japan
An apartment complex in Gifu Prefecture, Japan.
18. Honorable Mention, Cities: Al Ain, Al BuraymĪ, Muhafazat Al Buraymi, Oman
New buildings rise from the desert floor near Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates.
19. Honorable Mention, People: Bridging Generation, New Delhi, Nct, India
A father and son dressed in traditional white clothing sit at a mosque in New Delhi, India, under a blue sky on Eid al-Fitr, the conclusion of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
20. Second Place Winner, Cities: Walled City #08, Hong Kong
An areal shot of the densely packed buildings inside the walled city of Whampoa Garden, Hong Kong.
21. Honorable Mention, People: Blessings At Besakih, Bali
The Besakih Temple on the island of Bali on the slopes of Mount Agung, a sacred volcano. Known to locals as the “Mother Temple” for more than a thousand years, it consists of three major temples dedicated to the Hindu trinity: Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu.