The Transformers movie franchise, despite being seen as a glorified toy marketing campaign by some, has produced some of the biggest blockbusters of the past decade and is the 10th highest grossing film series of all time. In total, the four installments released so far have earned more than $2.5 billion and fans are eagerly awaiting the fifth movie scheduled to be released in June 2017. Two more films are in the pipeline for 2018 and 2019, as well as a Bumblebee spinoff.
But let’s leave the well-known facts aside – the behind-the-scenes stories is what tells a tale best. From product placements to on-set secrets, here are 15 things you probably didn’t know about the Transformers movies.
1. Bumble Bee was turned from a Volkswagen Beetle into a Camaro because director Michael Bay didn’t want the movie to be associated with the Herbie the Love Bug movie series
A yellow Volkswagen does make a cameo, though!
Source: Motor Authority
2. The U.S. Military donated real uniforms and let the producers use real soldiers and military vehicles in the movie
As a thank you, the soldiers got an advance screening of the movie!
3. Megan Fox gained ten pounds of muscle for her role
Source: Movie Pilot
4. In Revenge of the Fallen, someone had to push Megan Fox during her motorcycle scenes since she didn’t know how to ride one
Source: Auto Evolution
5. Megatron is the only Transformer who appears in a different form in each movie
Source: Transformers Wikia
6. Linkin Park personally requested to be in the movie. They asked Megan Fox, who was at one of their concerts
Their song plays over the end credits of Dark of the Moon.
Source: DeviantArt | Shphon
7. 532 cars were destroyed during the filming of In Dark of the Moon
8. If you watch closely in Revenge of the Fallen, a goat jumps off the roof of a house in the desert village scene
9. Shia LaBeouf loved the Project Iceman set in the first Transformers so much that he used to secretly visit it
The actor would sometimes bring his friends along!
10. Patrick Dempsey was cast after he bumped into director Michael Bay at a Ferrari show
Source: TFW 2005
11. In Dark of the Moon, originally Dino was supposed to die. Ferrari didn’t want one of their cars blown up, though, so Que had to die instead
Source: Transformers Wiki
12. The truck of Furbies that blows up in the first Transformers was a real truck full of Furbies
13. Shia LaBeouf confirmed that he and Megan Fox did have a fling on set
Some rumors claim she was married at the time, but according to the two of them their fling happened before she was married.
14. Age of Extinction is the only Transformers movie without a voice-over prologue by Optimus Prime
Source: 7 Themes
15. Age of Extinction includes about 55 different brands
The Transformers films have been frequently criticized for their product placement aspects