Being a massage therapist is a physically demanding job where you have to work with all kinds of people and problems. And we all know that when you work with people it’s generally a mixed bag. Here are some real-life confessions of massage therapists, and we should probably take these into consideration the next time we book for a massage.
Here are some real-life confessions of massage therapists, and we should probably take these into consideration the next time we book a massage.
1. Never call them a ‘masseuse’ or a ‘masseur’
These are so outdated and also became a euphemism for sex work. It’s similar to calling a flight attendant an air hostess.
Happy Thursday. These are answers to actual questions or statements I have been asked from clients or commented on over the years. Fellow RMTs can relate. 😄👍 #massagetherapistproblems#notamasseuse#yesitouchfeet#yesiwenttoschoolforthis#nopeitsnotyourrotarycup#nomyhandsdonthurt#professional#buisnessowner#kathleenwillisrmt
2. No, they don’t do sex stuff.
You will be shown the door if you ask such a thing.
3. Patients sometimes get their hands where they shouldn’t
And then, they are put on the blacklist of “bad” clients for a reason.
4. Don’t feel self-conscious about your weight
To a massage therapist, every person is a collection of muscles and knots. They just want to give you a massage!
5. They also don’t care about your zits either.
People often cancel appointments if they have a breakout on their back. A massage therapist could actually help out with this, using a soothing massage oil of tea tree or lavender, so don’t you worry!
6. They don’t care if you haven’t shaved
They see all kinds of bodies, and they honestly think it’s normal that you aren’t shaved.
7. Shower before you get a massage!
Massage therapists don’t want to touch someone who’s covered in dirt and sweat.
8. Massage therapists have to be very well groomed
Yes, they need to have short nails, fresh breath, and no body odor. Can you at least shower for them?
9. People fart all the time
It usually just means they’re relaxed.
10. Clients who “forget” their wallet
People who get mad and refuse to pay if they don’t get a “happy ending” are just the worst, and promptly blacklisted.
11. People moan and grunt
That gets really awkward. It’s not cool to make really loud sex noises.
12. Don’t assume it’s an easy job
It’s a physically demanding job and far from an easy task.
13. Massage therapists are the first people who need a massage!
Their backs, wrists, and shoulders take a lot of strain, and some of them end up having to go to sports injury clinics, or even develop arthritis.
14. It can be emotionally draining too
Some people talk a lot during a massage, and that is a really hard therapy session.
15. It’s not exactly a stable or reliable job
Massage therapists don’t tend to make a lot of money, as people see a massage as a treat.
16. A little cut can ruin their whole week
Using their hands constantly, a cut can become so irritated by stinging oils.
17. Friends and acquaintances use lines on them all the time
“My neck is so stiff today,” and a hopeful look is the most famous one.
18. Speak up if you don’t like something!
They would appreciate it.
19. There’s a lot of laundry
So many towels!
20. Sometimes they uncover serious health complaints
Back pain can sometimes signal lung problems, or even cancer.
21. People who don’t relax or sit still drive them mad
Try to be still, it’s the best you can do.
22. At the end of the day, they love what they do
It’s a wonderful job to see clients satisfied!