All the Dawson’s Creek fans out there will surely remember the teenage angst, romance and drama between Dawson, Pacey, Jen, and Joey in the unforgettable show running between 1998 and 2003. One of the faces that was a mainstay throughout the entire run was that of Katie Holmes, whose subsequent marriage and divorce to Tom Cruise were highly publicized affairs.
For those who prefer Katie from Dawson’s Creek to the ones from tabloids and rumor stubs, here are twenty-nine facts about Toledo, Ohio-born actress you simply have to know.
1. Katie first entered a modeling competition when she was 16
Shortly after, she won an international talent competition with an excerpt from To Kill a Mockingbird.
2. She is good friends with Victoria Beckham
The two are often seen shopping and attending fashion-related events together.
Source: Michel Dufour | Getty Images
3. Katie was the only actor to appear in all 128 episodes of Dawson’s Creek
She was paid $175,000 per episode.
Source: International Business Times
4. Katie auditioned for the role of Ellie Christianson in 1998’s Wicked
Eventually, the part was given to Julia Stiles instead.
Source: George Pimentel | Getty Images
5. Katie auditioned for Dawson’s Creek via videotape with her mother reading Dawson’s lines
“I was doing my school play, Damn Yankees,” she explained. “There is no way I’m not playing Lola to go audition for some network. I couldn’t let my school down. We had already sold a lot of tickets. So I told Kevin and The WB, ‘I’m sorry. I just can’t meet with you this week. I’ve got other commitments.'”
6. While filming Dawson’s Creek, she lived in Wilmington, North Carolina for 10 months a year
She ended up buying her own townhouse to stay at while shooting.
Source: KMazur | Getty Images
7. She was romantically involved with Dawson’s Creek co-star Joshua Jackson
The two remained friends after the show ended.
8. In the early 2000s, Katie began dating American Pie actor Chris Klein
The couple got engaged in 2003 but called it quits in 2005. Chris later said, “From my side, there was a lot of denial and fear about the future. It ended as amicably as these things can end.”
Source: Gregg DeGuire | Getty Images
9. In 2005, Katie started dating Tom Cruise
Tom proposed to her in the Eiffel Tower’s second-floor restaurant just two months after their first meeting.
Source: Getty Images
10. On April 18, 2006, the couple welcomed their daughter, Suri
The name means “red rose” in Persian, but it has another meaning: a Hebrew derivative of “Sarah,” which means “princess”.
Source: Amy Sussman | Getty Images
11. On the 29th of June 2012, Katie filed for divorce after five years of marriage
A settlement was reached 11 days later and Katie was awarded primary custody of Suri.
Source: Hollywood Life | James Devaney | WireImage | Getty Images
12. Katie received a divorce settlement of $9.8 million, including child support
Source: Michael Loccisano | Getty Images
13. For a while, Katie harbored ambitions about a medical career
She scored 1310 out of 1600 on the SAT and was accepted to the prestigious Columbia University.
Source: Dimitrios Kambouris | Getty Images
14. She runs three to four miles a few times a week to clear her head
Source: Lainey Gossip
15. Her first nude scene was in the 2000 movie The Gift
Source: Taylor Hill | Getty Images
16. Katie auditioned for the role of Buffy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The part went to Sarah Michelle Gellar as producers thought that Katie was too young for the role.
Source: Mad Cartoon Network Wiki
17. She is very close with her family and says she feels a “telepathic” connection to her sisters
“If I’m thinking about my sister, she will end up calling me, it’s weird. Telepathic,” the actress once said.
Source: Gary Gershoff | Getty Images
18. Although acting is her first love, she enjoys other hobbies
“It’s important to try to be creative,” she said. “I paint, and my mom is going to teach me how to make clothes. I think people should have passions.”
Source: Gilbert Carrasquillo | Getty Images
19. The role as Rachel Wagner in 1998’s Disturbing Behavior gained her a lot of critical acclaim
She won an MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance for her role in the film.
Source: Movie Stills Database
20. Katie auditioned for the role of Carla Albanese in 2009’s Nine
Penélope Cruz landed the role instead.
Source: Stuart C. Wilson | Getty Images
21. She says she had dreamed about marrying Tom Cruise long before she knew him
“I think every little girl dreams about her wedding. I used to think I was going to marry Tom Cruise,” she told Seventeen magazine in 2004.
Source: Alberto E. Rodriguez | Getty Images
22. Katie and Tom’s lavish Italian wedding was attended by a host of celebrities
Jim Carrey, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Kristie Alley, and John Travolta were just some of the famous faces in attendance.
Source: Pascal Le Segretain | Getty Images
23. Holmes says she doesn’t want her widely-publicized divorce to define her
“I don’t want that moment in my life to define me, to be who I am. I don’t want that to be what I’m known as. I was an actor before, an actor during and an actor now,” the actress explained.
Source: Alo Ceballos | Getty Images
24. She has a pretty positive outlook on life
“We all keep dreaming, and luckily, dreams really do come true,” she said.
Source: Craig Barritt | Getty Images
25. The creator and executive producer of Dawson’s Creek, Kevin Williamson, has heaped praise on Katie
He said that she has a “unique combination of talent, beauty and skill that makes Hollywood come calling. But that’s just the beginning. To meet her is to instantly fall under her spell.”
26. When Dawson’s Creek finished filming, she found it difficult to adjust to the change
“It was very difficult for me to leave Wilmington, to have my little glass bubble burst and move on,” she said. “I hate change. On the other hand it was refreshing to play someone else.”
Source: James Devaney | Getty Images
27. She enjoys a grande soy sugar-free vanilla latte in the morning
28. In July 2009, Katie was part of a team that launched a dance scholarship fund
Along with Nigel Lythgoe, Adam Shankman, and Carrie Ann Inaba, the actress helped to establish the Dizzy Feet Foundation.
Source: Dimitrios Kambouris | Getty Images
29. Growing up, Katie’s family was very tight-knit
Her father worked as a divorce attorney. “I always joke that my happy childhood was the result of other people’s unhappiness,” she once quipped in an interview with Allure magazine.