Jamie Lee Curtis was initially Hollywood’s favorite “scream queen” after a series of successful horror films in her early career, but has gone to achieve success in many different genres as well as outside the movie business. The 58-year-old actress is also a writer, blogger, philanthropist, political activist, recovered alcoholic, and believe it or not – an inventor. Here are the most interesting facts about this Californian class act.
1. Her film debut was a huge success
After appearing in 1978’s Halloween, Jamie quickly became one of Hollywood’s hottest up-and-comers. The film grossed $47 million on a $300,000 budget and spawned seven sequels.
2. Mainstream audiences initially knew her as a horror film icon
After her debut, Curtis went on to star in numerous other horrors such as The Fog, Prom Night, Terror Train, Roadgames and the first Halloween sequel.
3. Her talent runs in the family
Her parents are Hollywood legends Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh.
Source:NY Daily News
Janet and Jamie Lee appeared together in Fog (1980) and Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998).
4. As a teenager, Curtis considered a career in social work
She attended the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California but dropped out after her freshman year to pursue acting.
Source: Twitter | @HistoryInPics
5. She has two adopted children
Her daughter Annie was born in 1986 and her son Thomas in 1996.
6. She’s been married to Christopher Guest since 1984
When the British-American filmmaker inherited the Barony of Haden-Guest title in 1996, Jamie became Lady Haden-Guest!
Guest is a UK Peerage member whose leftist grandfather was created Peers of the realm in 1950. He trained to be an actor, studied classical music, played country and rock and roll, makes mockumentaries, writes, acts and directs. And you thought the Kardashians were fun.
7. She fell in love with Guest before she even met him!
She saw him in his most famous film This Is Spinal Tap and told her friend, producer Debra Hill, that she would marry that guy one day. Five months later, she kept her word.
Spinal Tap is such a funny movie, she surely wasn’t the only one to fall in love.
8. She is the godmother of actor Jake Gyllenhaal
9. She loves playing World of Warcraft
She’s a huge gaming fan and has attended the ComicCon and BlizzCon conferences in disguise. She also attended the premier of the Warcraft film in 2016 with her son Thomas.
Source:NBC San Diego
10. She is a recovered alcoholic
She has been sober since 1999 which she considers her greatest life accomplishment.
11. She is a successful children’s author
Incredibly, she has written ten books for children working with illustrator Laura Cornell between 1993 and 2010.
12. In 2006, Jamie put her acting career on hold to focus on her family
She wanted to be the best mother she could be, and acting simply took up too much time.
13. Her older sister Kelly Curtis is also an actress
Kelly had a cameo role in 1983 movie Trading Places for which Jamie Lee won the Best Actress in a Supporting Role Academy Award.
14. Her TV debut was in an episode of the iconic detective show ‘Columbo’
15. She is a blogger for Huffington Post
On her blog homepage, she introduces herself to the younger segment of the audience as someone who “moonlights as an actor, photographer, and closet organizer”.
16. She is very close friends with fellow actress Sigourney Weaver
17. She has been involved in numerous humanitarian and philanthropic efforts
She has worked with the American Foundation for Equal Rights, the LGBT advocacy group Human Rights Campaign, the non-profit Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Woman in Recovery and the Children Affected by AIDS Foundation.
18. In 1987, she patented a modification of a diaper
The product comes with a moisture-proof pocket that also contains wipes, making changing diapers easier.