Did it ever happen to you to throw a glance at something that is so strange, your brain doesn’t even register it? Then, after a few seconds, when the bizarreness hits you, you need to go back and look again, just to be sure what you initially saw really existed.
When the surrealist cultural movement started in the 1920s, it was defined as a method of exploring the unconscious and the unexpressed feelings within ourselves. But you don’t necessarily have to visit a museum or an art gallery to enjoy a respite from the everyday prosaic nature of life: we have selected fifteen real-life photographs that might not be of Salvador Dalí reputation, but will nevertheless have you rubbing your eyes in disbelief.
1. Indoors Scuba Diving – Radisson Blu Hotel in Berlin, Germany
2. The ref’s car?
3. Husky Jesus
4. This is my Ajax, this is my gun, this is for cleaning, this is for fun!
5. A gravity-defying pylon
6. Meanwhile, in Russia
7. A cunning disguise
8. A horse-zebra crossbreed
9. Where’s the cord plugged in?
10. The White Guard
11. Only in Iowa
13. Maho Beach on the Caribbean island of Saint Martin, a plane spotting paradise
14. The boxing horse shadow
15. The spirit of the Jeep lingers on