Cosplay is a phenomenon which has become hugely popular in today’s culture. Dressing up as characters from movies, series, or video games is a hobby for some people, and for others it’s an artform. The origins of cosplay can be traced as far back as 1939, at the 1st World Science Fiction Convention in New York City where the practice was called fan costuming. The term ‘cosplay’ (costume-play) is much more recent – it was invented by a Japanese journalist in 1984.
Cosplay events have become a regular feature of fan conventions, the largest and most famous of them being the San Diego Comic-Con, held annually in San Diego, California. The variety of costumes that can be seen at this and other cosplay events is truly amazing. The attention paid to even the tiniest of details is astounding!
But one of the most interesting ideas is certainly combining more characters into a single costume. The results are incredibly original! Ranker has compiled a list of some of the best mashup costumes that can be found on the Internet. Let’s check some of them out: perhaps they will inspire you for next year’s Comic-Con.
1. Mystique in the middle of her transformation
2. Jedi Beauty and Chewbacca the Beast
Photo: Elizabeth Rage, Dan Young/Imgur
3. Darth Vader has a soft spot for his pet AT-AT
4. Dartha Maula
Photo: Laurie Foster/Imgur
5. Gender bending all the DC superheroes
Photo: Kit Quinn (Superma’am), et al/Imgur
6. Disney Princesses inspired by the slave Princess Leia outfit
Photo: Ashlynne Dae, Elizabeth Rage, Rian Synnth, Hendo/Imgur
7. Optimus Prime + TARDIS = Optimus Time
Photo: Sebastian Nguyen/Imgur
8. If Wolverine and Batman lived in the Renaissance
9. The Wonder Woman and Boba Fett mashup
Photo: Alkali Layke/Imgur
10. Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Vader
Photo: Weird News blog/Imgur
11. Wherefore art thou, Batman? – Shut up, Robin!
Photo: Photo by Sacha Goldberger/Imgur
12. Adamantium Man! Or Iron Wolverine…?
13. Slave Elsa
Photo: Ashlynne Dae/Imgur
14. It’s a Trap!
Photo: Jenny Newman/Imgur
15. Times are tough for everyone, even Waldo
Doesn’t this guy kinda look like Michael from Vsauce?