The movie also kickstarted the romance of co-stars Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan who got married in 2008, three years after meeting on the set of the first movie. Here are 14 interesting behind-the-scenes facts about Step Up.
1. Jenna Dewan-Tatum used to have to spend hours in the makeup chair before each shoot, in order to have her tattoos covered up
2. Channing Tatum has admitted that he hated practicing the dance move where he had to slide between the legs of the girl because he was always terrified he would accidentally knock her over
Source:Movies and Cinema
3. As in many similar movies, the actors were actually dancing to silence, with the music being added later
4. Remember that window the boys break in the movie? Reportedly, it had already been broken before the shoot because Channing thought it would be a good idea to use a slingshot to try and break it before filming
5. Jenna said that she knew she wanted to marry Channing during the filming of the dance step where he catches her mid-air
“After 10 takes and a guy doesn’t struggle to catch you, you know he’s the one,” she admitted.
6. Channing almost refused to be in the movie because of the rest of the cast. He was intimidated by having to be as good as professional dancers
7. All of the artwork displayed at the school was actually made by high school students
Source:Just Jared Jr.
8. In Step Up 2: The Streets, some of the dance moves during the last scene are played backward. You can tell by Andie’s hair moving the wrong way as she is dancing
9. As part of his preparation for the second film, Robert Hoffman actually hung out with people from Baltimore’s famed underground dance scene to better prepare for the role
It has been reported Hoffman even competed in break dance events!
10. Director Jon M. Chu had to beg Channing to make a cameo in the second movie. The actor agreed, under the condition that he does a dance off with another cast member!
11. The courtroom scene in the first movie was shot in an actual courthouse in Baltimore while real trials were going on in the building
12. During the filming of the scene where Tyler starts unbuttoning his coveralls in the parking lot, Channing joked that he was going to turn it into a whole strip routine
13. The whole cast and crew watched the lift from Dirty Dancing right before they shot their scene. After that, Channing and Jenna worked on the lift for hours to get it right
14. The cute dance rehearsal montage was not meant to be funny. Jenna just couldn’t stop laughing at Channing because he kept messing up and it was so natural, in the end, it was decided to keep it in the movie